Grand Rapids & Fat Tire Bikes: Match Made in Heaven
Northern MN is known for our gorgeous summer, vibrant fall, rejuvenating spring and icy winters. We love having 4 seasons- but some of our seasons aren’t known for being cyclist friendly. In winters past cyclists would pack up their gear and wait for the snow to melt. After the snow melted, they’d have to wait even longer for the mud to dry up.
Only then would they be able to get outside and take on the trails- Until now!
The Monster Truck of Mountain Bikes
Made for Minnesota’s winter, fat tire bikes have a rubber surface twice as wide as standard mountain bikes and a much lower, “squishy” tire pressure. This increased surface area allows better traction and keeps riders from sinking into the snow, mud or sand.
They are a great way for riders of all ages and experience levels to get outside and into nature. From easy riding and sight-seeing to more adventurous mountain biking- fat tire bikes let you explore Northern MN in all terrains and trail conditions.
Northern Minnesota Fat Bike Trails
Beautiful trails are available for the public in the Grand Rapids area. Some of our favorite warm weather fat tire biking trails include:
Best winter trails for fat tire biking:
Fat Tire Biking Community in Grand Rapids, MN
- GRIMBA (Grand Rapids and Itasca Mountain Bicycling Association) has countless opportunities to volunteer for or participate in projects, social rides, trail improvements and events.
- Get Fit Itasca offers mountain biking day trips, community events, fitness education and fun, themed rides throughout northern MN.
- Itasca Trail Sports is the go-to fat tire bike outfitter. They sell “Made in MN” fat tire bikes and accessories for the Grand Rapids, MN area.
Check out our video showcasing some of the benefits fat tire biking in Northern MN:
Fat Bike Resources:
- Local Cross-Country Ski/Hiking Trail Map
- Get Fit Itasca
- Itasca County Trail Maps
- Mesabi Trail
- Mesabi Trail Map
- Minnesota DNR Biking Resources
- Minnesota DNR Hiking Resources
- Taconite Trail
- Taconite Trail Map
- Grand Rapids Trails
- Itasca County Communities Trails