The 3rd annual Northwoods Pond Hockey Championship. It is a one-day pond hockey tournament on McKinney Lake in Grand Rapids. This year the tournament is set to take place Saturday, February 10, 2017. The vision is to have 8 rinks, 48 teams, three divisions (Gold, Silver, and newly added this year Last Pick). Last Pick is a division for those that have dabbled in skating and hockey and are far from perfecting those skills. It is for people that are looking to have a lot of good laughs, mostly at your own expense. The winning team of the Last Pick division get to choose where the proceeds from the Last Pick division go to from a predetermined list of local non-profit charities and organizations.
Watch this quick video that showcases the Northwoods Pond Hockey Championship and features highlights from the 2017 event.
Here is what you need to know:
****helmets required for everyone****
- 16 teams maximum/division
- 3 games guaranteed
- 6 Player team (4 on 4 Hockey no goalies)
- Games will be played on eight 140’x75′ rinks
- Boards will be 16″ high all the way around
- Goals are 6′ 2″x6″ with two 12″ notches to shoot on.
- Rinks will be flooded for the start of the tourney, and maybe once during the day.