February may mean cold temperatures and lots of snow, but that doesn’t slow Grand Rapids down. Whether you are looking for cultural events, family activities and classes or reasons to get outside, you’ll be able to find something to keep you busy in February 2016.
The First Friday Art Walk will be held Friday, February 5th from 4:00 – 8:00pm. Organized monthly by Grand Rapids Arts, past events have included acts like jazz artist Sam Miltich and Grand Rapids native Jessalie Olin. You can expect unique local art, dinner specials and live music. For more information visit www.GrandRapidsArts.org.
The Macrostie Art Center is holding a variety of events throughout the month of February and beyond:
- February 27th at 1:00 pm local artist Lily Winter will teach a Beginning Metalsmithing/Jewelry class. Registration will be $48.00 and materials are provided.
- Karlyn Atkinson Berg will also be teaching a printmaking class on February 27th at 10:00 am.
- Every Thursday night from 6:30 to 9:00 pm the Macrostie Art Center holds an “Open Figure Drawing” session for artists of all skill levels.
- Every Tuesday from 6:00 to 8:30 pm they hold an informal class to help potters and students of all skill levels improve their technique.
For more information on any of these sessions please visit the Macrostie Art Center class calendar.
The Forest History Center is holding multiple workshops and events this month:
- Learn to make snowshoes on Wednesday, February 3rd.
- On Saturday, February 6th you can learn how to tap sugar maple trees and make maple syrup.
- Looking to get the the whole family out of the house? February 20th is the “Stomping on Winter Family Day” at the Forest History Center. There will be snowshoeing, sleigh rides, ice skating, sledding, games, tours and more.
For more information on all of these events visit the Forest History Center website.
February 19th through the 21st marks the 30th Anniversary of the Taconite State Trail. Originally authorized in 1974, the trail was completed in 1986 and has since been providing locals and visitors with an unsurpassed view of Northern Minnesota’s abundant mining history and gorgeous country. The celebration will include a ribbon cutting and a vintage snowmobile run.
The Jacobson Classic Snowmobile Ride is celebrating its 31st year on February 13th! The 17 mile ride begins at noon and winds 17 miles to Swan Lake, MN. There will be a bonfire and food at the halfway point and prizes will be awarded at the Red Eye Saloon at 5:30 pm. The raffle drawing will be held at 8:00pm at Norm’s Forestry in Jacobson. Registration starts at 9:00 am and raffle tickets cost $5.00. Call Dale Gould at 218-752-6690 or visit the Facebook event page for more information.
Through the months of January and February the Grand Rapids Amateur Hockey Association will be holding hockey tournaments every Saturday and Sunday morning at the IRA Civic Center. From Peewee though Regions, check out our local teams!
Interested in finding out more about Grand Rapids and upcoming events? Give us a call or take a look at our event calendar!