Planning Your Spring Minnesota Family Getaway
Visit Grand Rapids has put together these tips for Planning Your Spring MN Family Getaway. Grand Rapids, Minnesota has been a family leisure destination for over 100 years. Spring is a wonderful time of year to reconnect as a family. There are many wonderful fun family performances at The Reif Center. There is live music at the VFW every Wednesday evening and at the Fraternal Order of the Eagles every Friday and Saturday night. There are wonderful educational opportunities at the Itasca County Historical Society, Forest History Center and other area attraction sites. Grand Rapids has an abundance of art and culture. There is the public art walk, MacRostie Art Center showcases a new exhibit every month that is FREE to the public. Area businesses, like Brewed Awakening, display local artists work every month. Come take in the spring wilderness by taking a hike through our forests. We have over thousands of miles of trails in Itasca County to discover the breathtaking spring beauty. Bring along the bikes and take a ride on the Mesabi Trail which is 60 miles of paved path that takes you up the Iron Range. There are many overlooks where you can view mines, pines, lakes, rivers, and lots of wildlife.
Tips for Planning Your Spring MN Family Getaway
- Pack mud boots, rain gear, sweatshirts, light hat and mittens.
- Pack tall kitchen garbage bags to put soiled clothing or outdoor gear in to transport back home.
- Pack camera, extra photo cards, batteries and battery charger.
- Bring along small backpacks for every family member to put snacks, beverages, maps, and found souvenirs in.
- Bring along snacks and water for nature hike, biking, or car drive up the Scenic Byways.
- Pack binoculars so you can stop at the many overlooks and bridges to view far away wildlife.
- Pick up Grand Rapids area Visitor Guide, maps and other resources to help guide you on your excursion. Or download the Visitor Guide. Visitor Guides are available Central Square Mall, Chamber of Commerce Information Center, and other business locations around town. Make sure to check out the Coupons in the back of the Visitor Guide to area restaurants, retail stores and area attractions.
- Allow for plenty of time – there are many miles between attraction sites so make sure to check the maps and google map your route. You wouldn’t want to be rushed and potentially miss something.
- Make sure to let friends and family your plans for your vacation. In today’s age of technology, it is easy to send a quick text letting people know where you are planning to go.
- Stay on the trails. It is easy to want to explore further into the forest, but if you are not aware or familiar with your surroundings, be advised to stay on the trail and mapped routes.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. Grand Rapids offers the balance between community and nature. Front line staff at area businesses are always willing to help with directions, great place to eat and things to do while you are in town.
- When in doubt check the Visit Grand Rapids website: www.visitgrandrapids.com or view mobile version from your tablet or smartphone: www.m.visitgrandrapids.com.
Grand Rapids is a great place for a Minnesota Family Getaway. Come reconnect as a family in Minnesota’s nature.
Photo by Karen Oothoudt.